Name _________________________________ Date ________________
Reading Guide for The Black Pearl by Scott O’Dell
1. How did Ramon’s mother describe the Manta Diablo?
2. How did Ramon react when his mother used the Manta Diablo to threaten him?
3. Why wouldn’t Ramon’s father let him dive for pearls when he turned sixteen?
4. What things did the Sevilliano do to annoy Ramon and his father?
5. What did Soto Luzon bring Ramon’s father?
6. What made Ramon uneasy when he and Soto Luzon paddled into the lagoon?
7. What sort of pearl did Ramon think that he would find in the cave?
8. Why does Soto Luzon think that Ramon should throw the pearl back into the sea?
9. What did Ramon keep thinking of and praying would not happen?
10. Why were the four other pearl dealers in La Paz angry with Ramon’s father?
11. How was Ramon’s mother planning to spend the money that they wold get from the
12. What did Ramon’s father decide to do with the Black Pearl?
13. What is the name of the statue Madonna that sits in the church?
14. What kind of storm is coming to La Paz?
15. How did the Sevillano explain the fact that he was able to survive the storm when no
one else did?
16. Why did Ramon go to the church instead of going home?
17. Why did the Sevillano say he did not want Ramon to take the tiller while he slept?
18. What does Isla de los Muertos mean?
19. How did the Sevillano react when the Manta Diablo began to drag them toward the
20. What did Ramon do with the Black Pearl when he reached the shore?